Saturday, April 27, 2013

Eating Wild

Spring is everywhere, and so are the weeds! But this year, when I pulled out the wild garlic, instead of throwing it out, I saved it, and after about an hour of weeding, I had a whole bunch of wild garlic.


It took a little while to clean them and cut out the bulbs and the tips, but it was a slow pleasurable task, reminding me of olden days when not everything came cleaned and packaged at the supermarket.


I got some mint too, that grew back from last year - an early herb that I'm delighted to welcome before basil comes along later in the summer.


And in a grinder, made a pesto with the wild garlic, the mint, a few almonds, one green chili, a splash of olive oil, and a dash of salt. Tossed with penne pasta, it was a surprisingly delicious dish that smelled and tasted  like spring! The wild garlic didn't exactly taste like garlic or onion, and yet it tasted like them - mildly daring - I guess an oxymoron of flavors, but it was an adventure - my wild adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment