Sunday, September 22, 2013

The Simple Joy of Soap


As I'm getting to the end of the slip of the old soap, conscientiously stretching it for one more day, I'm eagerly waiting to open the new bar of soap, all crisply wrapped up in a fresh paper box, stealing sniffs of it whenever I open the closet for something else.

Finally, tonight's the night. A long day of being outdoors, open to the sun, the winds and the earth, which was lovely while it lasted, but by the end of the day, I'm longing for bath and bed. I lovingly open my paper box, gently pry out the creamy concoction, step into the shower, cradling the soft soap in both hands. The pleasure of hot water on a tired body, the slippery scented soap on skin, and the deep rosy perfume that filled the bathroom - oh I can't stop smiling!

I know - it's just soap. Everyone else is talking about consciousness and the cosmos - but I can't really touch and feel those words. And after all, isn't joy a way of experiencing consciousness in this moment? Or maybe it's the other way around - consciousness is experiencing a moment of joy. Whatever it may be, when the universe is showering (I wasn't planning a pun!) me with so much joy, who am I to question its source? A bar of soap, the scent of a rose, the feel of warm water on bare skin - joy, pure joy!

1 comment:

  1. Simple pleasures are often the best. You certainly know how to appreciate and describe those sort of experiences.

    ReplyDelete