Thursday, August 25, 2011

Is there Zen in Pain?

 
"Instead of running away from pain, try embracing it.  
Be the pain."
- Palzang


It's the 4th morning I'm waking up with this agonizing pain, debilitating really, nothing like I've ever had before. I tried going back to sleep, but it's impossible when there's not a single position that feels comfortable. The only sounds I hear are crickets chirping, the fan creaking, and the clock ticking. 3:30am. I've been awake for a half-hour now, maybe an hour - I had no sense of time before this, except that it was dark. I sighed and gave up on sleep, and dragged myself up into sitting for meditation. As I close my eyes and try to breathe deeply, I realize even breathing hurts. I hadn't noticed till now that I was barely breathing, just taking in shallow wisps of air and letting out thin streams of it, so as not to move a muscle, a lung or even my diaphragm. A funny question came to my mind - is this living?

Strange things come to mind when I can't sleep at 3am - I remember reading a Buddhist book where a part of it had talked about sitting with the pain, rather than swallowing pills to chase it away; and I had thought to myself then that this was how I would like to experience pain myself when I'm older. What a noble way to experience and understand my own pain, by being with it, talking to it, feeling the nuances of it. I had hoped to remember this book when I was older, when I'd have aches creaking in my body. Little did I know then what I had wished for, and how quickly my wish would come true.

So here I am, trying to sit up straight and meditate, but it turns out that the focus for my meditation is not some abstract light in my forehead, but a very real pulse point of pain, alive, throbbing, excruciating. It gives me a perverse pleasure trying to angle my neck this way or that way, just to feel a different facet of the same pain. I was so focused on it in fact, that I hadn't even realized that my feet had fallen asleep, and were starting to have dreams of their own! So I loosened my limbs and buckled down to the ground. My body sighed with pleasure while my neck groaned with pain. And in this strange position - my head resting on two fists layered one on top of the other, my body folded in half, my feet flexed and toes turned under - like a Muslim performing his prayer, I slept fitfully until the cat woke me.

I don't think this pain is going anywhere - it stays with me day and night, but I'm relieved that the night is over and I somehow caught a few winks of sleep. And in a couple of hours, I have to go spend a day in front of my work computer - the thing that probably gave me the pain in the first place. Hmm... I wonder if my neck is trying to say something - in the language that it knows.

Buddhists practice sitting in Za-zen (I believe the Sanskrit word for this is Dhyan) everyday to maintain a balanced state of nervous system. Zazen sitting would help keep my spine straight, and adopt a good posture, which is something I've almost never been good at - so I have many years of bad posture to overcome! A good posture is supposed to take the pressure off my back, relieve stress on my neck, and help strengthen those muscles. In the meantime, this is what I have to practice -
  • Not intend to overcome pain
  • Not fear pain
  • Accept pain as it is
  • Just sit with the pain in the present moment

    5 comments:

    1. Angel in pain,

      A hug at the outset for two reasons - 1) You expressed your pain so beautifully; I feel the helplessness and the futility of trying to come upon that one posture inadvertently to relieve yourself. This is something that I have had several times over the years.

      2)That you are learning to embrace it is a sign of acceptance.

      Have news for you though. What works for me should get the pain off your spine. It is officially spondylitis in your case, too, even if I am no doctor. Exact same symptoms with me.

      - No computer time for a month (the only culprit!), no chore too heavy on the spine. Complete rest on a semi-hard bed without a pillow. I run a mile from fat, spongy pillows and soft beds.

      - A Yogi friend's sage advice: The first thing you need to do every morning is spread a woolen blanket on the floor and lie on your back without a pillow and relax your spine right from the muladhara chakra right up to your sahasrara chakra.

      - Paramahamsa Yogananda's loving advice: Whilst in this position, send streams of white light from your medulla oblongata to the entire spine. The healing is magical.

      - Get yourself a zafu and zazen for meditation. It has helped me massively. It helps your prana flow along your spine without too much fuss.

      - From a neurologist, all he warned me about is the dangerous and destructive posture on the computer and the unhealthy long hours that make most of our day.

      I had to find an offline pursuit when Swami reminded me to resume my journey with colours.

      - Pray. (I know you do!) I tend to borrow Swami's back for computer time. The last few weeks have been a miracle, thanks to what I sincerely followed. Pain was never a nice thing.

      So, I see you coming back to us with a 3am dream with no sign of pain. Right here. Soon. People are waiting for your story. :))

      God's blessings,
      Anisha xxx

      ReplyDelete
    2. Oh Gosh Anisha, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! I wanted to hear from someone who's gone through this before - and this is exactly what I needed to hear. Funnily enough, my son's prescription was the same as yours - take a month off from work :) I pooh-poohed it off, but I might have to eventually - or this pain doesn't seem to be going anywhere. I'll try to follow the sage advice(s) you've shared here, and hope I'm back to normal soon.

      Thank you again!

      ReplyDelete
    3. Also means we should think of a phone chat soon then? ;) To avoid the cruel minutes of typing? Yes? No? Hmm...later? :)) I really hope my little list will help in some way. God bless you,
      Anisha xx

      ReplyDelete
    4. I hate doctors like everyone else. I rarely take medicine for pain except for extreme headaches. I've been experiencing leg pain on and off from running for years. After reading this, believe it or not, it inspired me to go to a doctor this morning. What a relief just listening to him explain the issue then prescribe simple medication, and discuss preventive exercises. Looking forward to a full recovery and many more years of running. Please please consider going to a pro to understand what you have and feel the same excitment I now have knowing what was going on. And thank you for opening my eyes.

      ReplyDelete
    5. Don, I don't know how you saw this and got inspired to go to a doctor, but I'm happy it helped you - I can sense your relief! As for me, my neck's a lot better than last week when I wrote this - and I hope it stays that way. Thank you for your concern though - I really appreciate it!

      ReplyDelete