Thursday, February 2, 2012

Rays of Healing with Reiki


I had a Reiki session with someone my Yoga teacher recommended recently. I didn't know what to expect, and I didn't want to read up about it, so I just went, and figured I'd take in whatever comes my way.

It was a small cozy room, a rented office space in a gym, and she was a petite blonde woman, and those were my first impressions. She introduced herself as Jodi Hutchinson, a certified PA, but her passion is in ancient healing traditions like Reiki, Ayurveda, acupressure, etc. The energy healing session I requested for was Reiki, so all healing was meant to be entirely hands-off. I was curious how this would even work.

We started off talking about how I came to her, and then about a few things that bothered me (bald spots, neck pain, work) but it seemed like there was another conversation going on beneath the surface that we weren't verbalizing. Once we started talking, tears started leaking out of my eyes and I didn't even know why. I had no pre-conceived topics of conversation - I just went with what was coming from within me. Mostly about the unsatisfactoriness of my work, and any direction past this job. So I was really surprised, when Jodi said at the end of the session, that I was releasing a lot of old, pent up sadness. I hadn't said anything to her about my unhappiness, but when she mentioned it, something touched a nerve, or my emotional faucet, and it came out in more tears. It seemed like even the conversation we were verbalizing wasn't anything concrete, and in fact that was the case with Reiki itself - I couldn't put my finger on anything. For an hour or more, Jodi was guiding me through a healing session that felt meditative, as if I was in a half-trance. Even though I found it hard to understand what was going on around me, I could feel something deep within me. I guess that's what was getting released as tears. It felt like I was cocooned in a nest of protective energy.

Besides the tears, what I felt during the session was a tingly feeling in certain parts of my body - in my feet, my arms, my chest, and my forehead. Later Jodi explained this was the energy moving! I also felt heaviness sometimes, chilly, lightness... I was pleased when she said that my body absorbed the energy work she was doing without any blocks. The one block that she said she couldn't dissolve all the way was the tight knot in my neck, but for me, as soon as I got off the table, I felt the neck pain was gone! That was one tangible thing I could take away with me.

http://www.refinedhealing.com/index.html

3 comments:

  1. How interesting! Glad it worked so tangibly for you.

    I too am only realizing now how much our wounded selves or fear-based selves run the show...many decisions that we think we are making is actually from that part of us and leads inevitably to further suffering. Once we develop enough presence to actually try and shine the light of consciousness into the dark areas, that's when we realize we're dealing with the tip of the iceberg...the roots of fear-based thinking and false conditioning are so internalized and so prolific - nothing but grace can heal and carry us through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a prompt comment... Thank you! Yes, it was an interesting experience, and more importantly because it opened my eyes to look deeper - beneath the surface - closer to the roots. I remember when this had first clicked for me a couple of years ago when I read the 'Not so big life', by Sarah Susanka. She herself was experimenting, figuring things out, so she's not a teacher, but more of a seeker, so I could relate to her everyday examples and practices. If you want to check her out on the internet - http://www.notsobiglife.com/

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete