Sunday, March 24, 2013

Spring's here? Not quite!

The spring robins are here, but they're struggling to tease worms out of the still-hard earth. I hear birdsongs when I wake up in the mornings these days, but I see dark-eyed juncos and Canadian geese still hanging around and not migrating back to the north yet. I drive by one of the backroads just to see someone else's crocuses and daffodils in bloom already, but my own daffodils are still sleepily hiding their yellow heads inside their green hoods. There's this deliciously gothic looking church with a grand magnolia tree in the backyard, but the fuzzy buds stay stubbornly buds. No sight of spring in these parts yet.


Finally I went to a nursery this morning - I figured that's one place spring will show her face early, but all I found were pansies, and more pansies, blooming their bright little faces off, but technically they're winter plants.


So I gave up on looking for spring, and instead bought a packet of pea seeds. I tucked them on the sill in the kitchen, and now I'm waiting (patiently) for a warm day to plant them. Ah... patience is a virtue a garden helps teach. Patience and hope!



No comments:

Post a Comment