Sunday, March 3, 2013

For peace comes dropping slow...

How I love those words, almost as if peace is a taste - of honey, on a syrupy summer day. They're from Yeats's beloved poem, The Lake of Innisfree. (For my own way to honor this poem, read about my visit to a lake house last summer). So I get drawn to this poem every now and then, and when I saw the title of Margaret Roach's book, I had to read it.


It's her own memoir, how she quit her corporate executive job to creating a life for herself, out of gardening, blogging, and writing. She writes about her farmhouse, her distant but kind neighbors, her very alive animals - snakes, frogs and birds, and a cat named Jack who adopted her, even though she claimed she wasn't a cat person. She writes about how she went from a New York city life of glass buildings and fancy restaurants, to living in her sweats and not knowing who she was anymore. When the designer shoes and expensive haircuts went away, who is she? She talks through her thoughts, stories, quirks and fears with honesty and humility; so even though she does get rambling and lost in her own story sometimes, I didn't mind it at all.

An exciting find for me, through the book was her gardening blog: http://awaytogarden.com/about, and a book by the same name. I'm not sure if she found peace yet, but I think she made peace with herself and her life, which I'd love to have a taste of in my own life!

No comments:

Post a Comment