Saturday, June 22, 2013

Laying Down

 
Sometimes when I stop to take a breath,
I'm overawed by how alive life is.
How eager, how fervent, 
How like a flame in the forest.
 
Restless,
Relentless,
Ruthless.
 
I look in the mirror and suck in a breath.
I see someone else - someone still young,
Her hair still dark and long, her teeth all in a line.
But me - I have an overwhelming longing to rest.
 
To rest,
Retreat,
Retire.
 
A need to reminisce,
To piece together my pieces,
To patch up the parts of my past,
Make a story and lay it to rest.
 
No more present,
past,
or prospects.
 
Only Peace.
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful poem! I can feel your desire to want to step away. The pictures go along perfectly as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes life does feel like all too much. Death, as you put it, is simple stepping away for a while, isn't it? Thanks for the comment :)

      Delete