Thursday, June 23, 2011

Pointless Dreams are a Good Thing?


Dreams are illustrations... from the book your soul is writing about you. -- Marsha Norman

So what about pointless dreams? This morning I woke up remembering the neighbor's kid storming into our house with his hair gelled into spikes, dark glasses on his nose, and generally behaving like a brat. He's 9 years old. In real life, he's completely opposite of how I dreamed - painfully shy, meek, doesn't even say Hi when he thinks he can get away with not saying it.

But what's the point of dreams like this? They seem so meaningless. At least I remembered this dream, but I don't remember most others lately. Maybe, even while I'm sleeping, subconsciously I tell myself to ignore them? If there's no point to these dreams, why do I dream them? I wonder what all those shelves and shelves of dream books would say about this pointless dream?

For the longest time, I used to think I didn't dream at all. That's what I'd say to anyone who asked me about my dreams. But then about 4 years ago, I started dreaming of dreams I couldn't ignore - they were vivid, compelling, poignant, and even before interpreting them, they felt meaningful. I mentioned a dream about a cottage on a moonlit beach earlier; I can never forget the dream about a giant eagle who picked me up and gave me a tour of the world from up in the sky; there was one where I got to feed the poor everyday; and I can still remember how I got out of a train crash unscathed and fearless.

There were many many dreams that I remembered when I woke up, and tried to interpret, but they all happened during a 3 or 4 year period, when I seemed ultrasensitive to the non-physical, non-tangible world around me. But what's surprising and disappointing to me is that I seem to have lost that sensitivity. Those dreams that had seemed like my soul was sending me urgent messages, have stopped. Maybe this means that my life is going on its tracks, for now. Maybe when my train gets derailed again is when I need those definitive dreams again to put me back on track. So maybe I shouldn't complain about this lassitude on my soul's part, but instead should take comfort in the rightness of it all, for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment